Thursday, November 28, 2013

THANKFUL


Thankful.  What an incredible word that carries with it so much meaning.   On this day dedicated to the act of giving thanks, we must ask ourselves to whom are we giving thanks.  The clear answer is Almighty God, who reigns with sovereignty, loves abundantly, and showers us with His grace.  On this day, I am extremely thankful to this great God for so many things – far too many to list in a few words.
For those of you who may not know, my wife and I began exploring a call to ministry in another context in late August.  This journey has dominated our recent months and really caused us to rely on the Lord’s leading.   The opportunity before us was one that would take us to Myrtle Beach, SC to begin a new work at Coastal Carolina University.  So why in the world would we even consider leaving Anderson University, where the Lord has been so good to us, to begin a new season of ministry – a season that will be more challenging, more lonely, and with less resources?  Why would we consider uprooting and moving away from the only place we have known as a married couple?  Why would we “risk” what we “have” for the unknown?
In reality, the answers to these questions were not hard to come by.  In fact, the only thing we continually came back to was, “In light of the current situation at Coastal, and in response to a faithful God who is calling, how could we not go?”  How could we not trust this faithful God with our lives?  So, my wife and I decided fairly quickly that the Lord was calling us to a new work, and we immediately began some of the transition preparation.  We informed our students that we would be transitioning to the new work, and the students were incredibly supportive and excited for this new ministry.
So on December 1st, my wife and I will begin a new season in Myrtle Beach, SC, and we are extremely thankful, despite the unknown, despite the tough road ahead, and despite the sadness of leaving friends behind.  We are thankful because we serve a great God who is incredible faithful no matter what the outcome is.  We are thankful that our acceptance as children of God will not be dependent on our performance in this new work; rather our acceptance before Almighty God is secure because of the finished work of Jesus Christ.  We are thankful because God has confirmed over and over that this is our path.  We are thankful because our house sold quickly.  We are thankful because Amanda was able to transfer more quickly than expected.  We are thankful because we have a place to live for the short-term in Myrtle Beach.  We are thankful because our students have seen this as a commissioning rather than abandonment.  We are so thankful for how God has continually worked out the details in the midst of our unknowns.
While this move has dominated our energy and thoughts over the last several months, we have so much to be thankful for!  We are thankful for the opportunity to serve at Anderson University over the last four years.  It has been an incredible time of ministry, growing, and friendships that I will have for a lifetime.  I am thankful for so many students who inspire me by their faith, who have served extremely well during their time at Anderson, and who have allowed me to share a part of their life.  I am thankful for students who welcomed me in four years ago and allowed me to lead them and serve with them.  I am thankful for students who have given countless hours to serve the campus and make disciples.  I am thankful for friends who have been there to encourage me and challenge me in my walk with the Lord.  Though times have not always been blissful in Anderson, there is no doubt I have so much to be thankful for what God has done over the last four years!  I am also thankful that I have had an amazing wife to share this journey with.  She has been my partner in ministry and I am excited to continue our journey in a new location.  I am thankful that she is willing to sacrifice as well so that we can take the Gospel to a new context.  I am thankful that the Lord will use her just as much as me in the coming days!
We truly have a lot to be thankful for!  God has blessed us in countless way and through countless people.  Thank you for sharing the journey with us, and thank you for your continued prayers.  On this day, please join me in thanking the Giver of all good gifts, the Lord!  He is worthy to receive our thankfulness, our affections, and our praises.
In reminding myself of how thankful I ought to be, I am reminded of David’s words in Psalm 103.  It was as if David were worried he too would forget how awesome the Lord had been to him, and so he commands his soul to praise God.  He writes:
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
    and all that is within me,
    bless his holy name!
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
    and forget not all his benefits,
who forgives all your iniquity,
    who heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit,
    who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,
who satisfies you with good
    so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.
Let us be thankful for this great God and what has been accomplished through Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment