Monday, February 17, 2014

What God has taught me through CrossFit

This month marks a year since I began what has turned into the most enjoyable workout regime of my life – CrossFit.  It has also been the most intense, the most demanding, and the most rewarding.

A little over a year ago, my fitness level had plateaued once again.  A year prior I had done “Insanity” and competed in a weight loss competition.  The adrenaline of that was wearing off and the pounds were beginning to add back on.  My wife and I talked through options, and it was actually her pushing that led us to try CrossFit.

When we first explored signing up, the price alone was a huge weight staring us in the face, but I rationalized it by deciding that we would try it for 3 months, and if it “worked” we would simply transfer back the YMCA and do the workouts ourselves.  Naïvely I figured I just needed the CrossFit trainers to teach me how to do the workouts and then I would be sailing.  It didn’t take us three months to make the decision CrossFit was for us – not even three weeks – after 3 days with our wonderful trainers I knew I was ALL IN!

While I still have to write a check with each new month, I can honestly say for my wife and I the same is true – the benefits (both fitness and lessons) FAR OUTWEIGH any cost we have paid.  Over the next few posts, I simply want to share what God has taught me through CrossFit (thus far and in no particular order).  If I was a better listener and learner I am sure there would be plenty more and far greater lessons, but I am convinced that with each new day dawning, there is a step to take and growth to be made.

GOD HAS TAUGHT ME ABOUT COMMUNITY THROUGH CROSSFIT

During our first week of foundations, it was clear that community was a huge deal at our box.  While I attempted to pay attention through the class, my eye was continuously drawn across the room as a group of 15 people worked out at 6am.  What struck me as odd was how they seemed to all know each other, talked to each other, and quite frankly seemed to enjoy being around one another at 6 in the morning.  As my wife and I transferred into the normal classes, it definitely took time for us to find our niche and what schedule worked best for us, but once we did, I cannot overstate what an incredible community we had in our class at 5 AM – yes 5 AM! 

We immediately began to bond with so many friends, who like us, were setting their alarm clocks around 4:30, showing up at 5, and leaving before most people even began to think about waking up.  It was this community that pushed me to do things I never thought possible, to try things I have been scared of my entire life, and to finish workouts when all I wanted to do was quit a WOD.  When we didn’t show up for a morning for whatever reason, my wife would often get a text inquiring about her well-being.  When we returned to the box, we were always greeted with “It’s good to see you again!”  This community was unlike anything I had ever experienced in a fitness community, and one, which honestly made it really difficult to make our move to Myrtle Beach.   In my wife and I’s discussion about pursuing a new ministry adventure in Myrtle Beach, our CrossFit community came into the discussion on multiple occasions. 

So what is it about CrossFit that God used to teach me about community?  What are some of the things that happen at 5am in a box that the Christian community should consider for how the Gospel community should be?  God has shown me real world examples of what is described in Scripture:

COMMUNITY THROUGH CONSISTENCY AND ENCOURAGEMENT

Simply put – when you see each other on a consistent basis with the same purpose in mind, it stirs everyone up to good works – to push forward – to grow!  As you spend time with people you begin to learn how to BEST encourage one another as well.

Hebrews 10:24-25 “And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.”
1 Thessalonians 5:11 “Encourage one another”

COMMUNITY THROUGH SUPPORTING AND SERVING ONE ANOTHER

While I have grown personally through CrossFit, the journey is not solely about me.  As I grew in the community, it became more and more about seeing others fulfill their goals as well.  I never thought putting up someone else’s weight after a WOD would be enjoyable, but after seeing people serve me so faithfully, it becomes easy to serve one another. 

Galatians 6:2 “Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.”

COMMUNITY THROUGH LOVING ONE ANOTHER

It didn’t take my wife and I long to see that people genuinely cared about one another in our box.  Through actions and words, it was so encouraging seeing people not only get along but also really love one another well.  I remember asking our trainer if everyone “really” got along, and she simply said, “Yes, our people love one another.”  Over and over again this love was displayed as people cared for others, prayed for others, and served others so well.

John 13:34 “Love one another”

Lord I pray that more and more of our churches would experience this kind of community around the Gospel. 



No comments:

Post a Comment