Tuesday, December 15, 2015

To Eat Or Not To Eat....

Those who know me know that I like food.  I like to eat.  As a kid one summer at our lake house I went as far as declaring, “Food is my quest.”  Since then I’ve been on that quest of finding God’s creative flavors in almost anything put before me.  The thing about eating though is that if you eat more calories than you burn, weight gains is actually the quest you are on.  In the winter of 2012 I had ballooned to a weight that I, nor my wife, was happy with.  So, I had to make a change and make some hard decisions.  How does one with an epic quest for food suddenly curb his appetite and begin shedding the pounds? 

Needless to say it was a process, but one totally worth it.  I still long for the scintillating feeling of food causing my taste buds to explode.  I still have urges that drive me to eat.  Sometimes I give into those urges and make poor food choices.  However, knowing is half the battle.  In “Spiritual Leadership,” Oswald Sanders asks a series of questions to investigate leadership potential, and the first one he lists reminds me of my food lessons.  He asks, “How do you identify and deal with bad habits?”  He then says, “To lead others, you must master your appetites.”  I doubt Sanders was thinking about my quest for food, but the parallels are uncanny.  What Sanders is speaking to is the desires each person has. 


In our lives, we all have habits and lifestyles.  We all have urges that pull our attention, shift our focus, and perhaps cause to step off course.  If we are going to be effective leaders, we must identify these potential pitfalls and overcome the bad habits that prevent us from leading others well.  In the words of Sanders, we must master our appetites so that God can use us for His plan.  This world bombards us with advertisements, promotions, and other nonsense to try to draw our appetites to its offerings.  We must be diligent and discipline to keep focused on God and what He offers, especially if God has entrusted us to lead others on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment